Shilajit have been used since thousands of years in the eastern traditional and ancient systems of medicine like Ayurveda, Traditional Chinese Medicine and the traditional Russian medical system.
Shilajit is a blackish resin that oozes out of rocks when heated up by sunlight and is located in the pristine and mystic Himalayan mountains predominately from the South-West region all the way to the Northern part of the Chinese mountains.
According to Ayurveda Shilajit:
- Shilajit is considered a Tridosha: it has balancing effects for PItta, Vata and Kapha body-type, but due to its warming nature it can be slightly heating for a pure Pitta if taken in large amounts.
TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) consider this herb:
- Jing Tonic: supporting the kidney, the adrenals, the prostate and reproductive system
- Chi vitaliser: it increase energy and stamina.
- Shen optimiser: due to its positive effects on the other two treasures (Jing and Chi) it inderecty balance the spiritual qualities of man
The main characteristic of Shilajit is that it containt one of the highest levels of fulvic acid compare to any other food substance ( 50%-60%). It also contain humic acid, 70-85 complex minerals and trace elements, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and antiviral and anti-fungal phytonutrients, as well as health-promoting antioxidants.
Fulvic acid is formed by bacterial metabolism on decomposing plant matter which in turn releases millions of beneficial bacteria. In chemical terms it is a macromolecule that contain a various array of other acids and it is an incredible generous electron-donor substance. Due to its chemical structure Fulvic acid is a potent antioxidant and detoxifier; it improves the permeability of cell membrane, the gut lining, the renal membranes and capillaries. It increases the absorption of minerals and helps repair tissues, as well as balancing any imbalance of electrical charge in any damaged cells.
Health benefits of Shilajit
- Boost energy levels: remember what the name Shilajit means in Sanskrit?. Shilajit improves mitochondrial function and when combined with supplemental CoQ10 this same benefits display even more powerful effects.
- Brain health: by regulating GABA levels this herb shows neuro-protective activity. It pairs very well with a B complex supplement for this purpose.
- Fertility tonic for both men and women: Shilajit has been traditionally considered a good aphrodisiac substance. In male it raises blood testosterone levels and increase sperm production; while for women it can increase ovulation and regulate the menstrual cycle.
Other beneficial effect of Shilajit are:
- Boost the immune function
- It alleviates pain
- It can help to manage diabetes
- It support the skeletal system
- Helps for breaking addictions
- Helps to relieve the "Altitude" stress
- It act as mild basal dilator for the circulatory system
There are many other adaptogenic food/herbal tonics that can help your energy levels during the winter times: Shilajit is certainly one of them, bringing the power of the mystic, ancient mountains into our bodies, mind and soul with remarkable positive effects.
- I cannot stress this point enough: it is extremely important, especially for Shilajit, to find a reputable brand that stock it. Before buying check the place of origin, the sourcing height, any lab-tests results indicating its purity from heavy metals, fungi and other contaminants, as well as the method of processing: purification and drying methods.