Calcium is the most abundant mineral: there is around 1.2 Kg -1.4 Kg inside the human body. 99% of it is stored in bones and teeth, while the other 1% is found  in extracellular serum calcium which plays important physiological roles. 

Calcium serum "pool" in the blood is about 1.200mg to 1.400mg, ant this range is tightly monitored by hormones and other substances to keep its levels between 8-9 to 9.4 mg/dL. Calcium serum levels are not affected by dietary calcium, as to keep the level within the range the body pulls calcium from three organ systems, namely the kidneys, the GI tract and the bones. Therefore calcium blood serum level is not an accurate indication of the total calcium content of the body.

The health benefits of this important alkalising mineral are the following:

  • Support solidity and movement
  • Builds and maintain bone structure and teeth
  • Promotes growth and vitality
  • Important for digestion: fat metabolism etc.
  • Calm and soothes nerves
  • Strengthen the walls of arteries and veins
  • Helps with the clotting mechanism
  • Helps heal wounds and scars
  • Repairs cartilage
  • Positive effect on the brain
  • Relax muscles and prevents muscle spasms
  • Maintain correct flow of electrical energy in the system
  • Reduce PMS or menopausal symptoms
  • Promotes deep sleep and the ability to relax

The recommended daily allowance of dietary calcium for adults is around 1g a day; a diet rich in whole-foods such as leafy greens, vegetables, nuts and seeds (pre-soaked or milled) easily allow that level to be met. 

The best food sources of calcium are sesame seeds, sunflower and chia seed and all other seeds and nuts, as well as kale, broccoli, all leafy greens, dulse, irish moss and kelp.

In addition, and most importantly, dietary calcium comes with all other nutrients that work synergistically for improving its absorption and utilisation. Calcium, for instance need phosphorus, Vitamin D and Vitamin K2, as well as protein in order to be properly assimilated and metabolised.

Supplemental calcium has a general absorption rate of about 30%; Recommendation for a calcium supplement is relevant when individuals are at risk of calcium deficiency caused by their constitutional archetype, a comprised gut, their age and circumstances. In that case, I would suggest supplemental calcium in a fine, triturated form which is easily assimilable: in fact the absorption occurs sublingually. A combination of Calcium Phosphate X6, Calcium Sulphite X6, and Calcium Fluoride X6 with the addition of Iron Phosphate would be ideal, but it is important to keep this tissue salts protected from EMF (electro-magnetic-frequency) in order to be most effective: You can find the protective case online or at your nearest homeopathic pharmacy.

Calcium is widely available in our diet and plays vital functions and benefits for the human body that it is worth paying more attention to its daily intake, as well as the intake of all its co-factors such as proteins, Vitamin D, Vitamin K2 and phosphorus. 

Best Wishes,

Adriano Mangogna